Thursday, April 23, 2009

Communicating Convictions

As Christians, the convictions that we adopt as our own are very important because they will shape the course of our future. How do we effectively communicate these convictions with others without being judgemental or offending them? How can we live out our convictions while showing deference to others, without being in fear of man? As I thought about this topic, I decided to use an example of a time when I was in situation where I needed to live out the convictions that the Lord had laid upon my heart to share with you ways that I have found helpful in enabling me to honor God while remaining in harmony with others.

A large group of us were going to Six Flags Great America for a fun day of recreation. It was the week of our anticipated trip, and we had a few last minute details to finalize. “So we can look like a group, without being completely matching, we are all going to be wearing plaid shorts and solid shirts,” my friends informed me. Unintentionally, my friends had put me into a quandary.

Looking like a group was a great idea, but there was one problem – I don’t wear shorts. It’s not that wearing shorts is a sin, but simply that wearing them would violate my personal convictions. I wanted to fit in. How do I show deference to others and live out my convictions at the same time, without worrying about what people may think of me?

After re-evaluating my convictions based on God’s Word and what He has taught me personally, I was reminded that Christ is the only one that I should be comparing myself to. He is the balance that I am required to measure up to. When my convictions are consistent with Christ’s character, my confidence comes from Him, and I have the courage that I need, to do what is right, even if it is unpopular.

When it comes to living out my convictions, my attitude is extremely important. Because people are very sensitive to attitudes, sincerity is a powerful key to living peacefully with others. If I am acting out of fear, then I am being a poor witness for Christ and damaging His reputation. If my heart attitude is prideful, then people who sense my critical spirit will be offended and may react harshly. By making sure that my motives are pure and that my attitude is one of humility, I am able to make decisions based on what I believe while promoting harmony with those whose standards are different from my own.

When my convictions are Biblically based and my attitude is correct, then I can look for a way to make a compromise— not of my convictions, but of the way that I choose to carry them out. To solve my clothing dilemma for our trip to Great America, I wore a plaid skirt, instead of plaid shorts. My friends and I were able to achieve the uniform appearance that we wanted, and, at the same time, I was able to honor my convictions.

We had a wonderful day at Great America and made a lot of terrific memories. Because of the decision that I made, peace and harmony were maintained, no one was offended, and my friends respected me for living by what I believed. Our time there was made even more enjoyable because I chose to show deference to my friends, while living out my convictions in a way that pleased my Heavenly Father.

The next time that you find yourself in a situation where one of your convictions is different from someone else’s, try doing these three things. First, evaluate your conviction to make sure it is firmly grounded in God’s Word. Secondly, check your attitude to make sure it is glorifying to God. Finally, look for a way to make a compromise that will promote harmony and encourage others to do what they know is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment